Paved with Good Intentions: A Nat and Alyssa Story - Part Five

Please post new stories here!
Forum rules
No Negative or Illegal Posting! Read stories and give each feedback!
naughtylilgirl09

Post by naughtylilgirl09 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Alyssa struggled to keep a smirk off her face, as she replied, “I learned how to tell time?” The look that appeared on Nat’s face was priceless. A combination of astonishment, annoyance, bafflement, anger, and confusion. She’d seen a lot of different looks on his face, she’d caused a lot of different looks on his face. This was a new one. “No?” Alyssa touched her nose and thought for another moment. “I learned how to count?”

Nat shook his head, reached down and picked up her bag. For as much as she was frustrating him, she was surprised, he was still carrying her things. “All right, young lady, I’ve had enough. Into the house, now.”

Alyssa rolled her eyes. “I think you forgot, forward march!” She did a mock salute.

Nat glared at her. That look she recognized.

“Alyssa, go!” he ordered. “Walk, now!”

“Sit, stay, bark, roll over?” she mocked.

Alyssa couldn’t believe how easy he was making this. He was just opening himself up these. Normally, she’d totally get a kick out of this. He just kept lobbing softballs and she kept hitting them out of the park. It was like he was begging for her to make the comments.

Though ultimately it didn’t matter, she realized. Not for her. Yes, Alyssa would have gotten a kick out of the situation. Nat wanted Alicia. So, she was being Alicia.

She was so wrapped up in her thoughts, she didn’t pay attention to his movements. Not until he’d taken two steps towards her, lifted her up and tucked her under his arm.

Alyssa struggled at the surprise, however, she felt his arm tighten around her as he walked forward. “What are you doing? Put me down!” she demanded. Unlike the last time he’d done this to her, she decided not to kick and hit him in an attempt to get free.

“I think you know what I’m doing,” Nat responded.

Alicia, her brain reminded her. Be Alicia. Although, Alicia would be kicking and hitting and screaming like there was no tomorrow.

“If I knew, I wouldn’t have asked,” she told him, using the tone that essentially said ‘duh’.

Her response surprised him, apparently. Alyssa wasn’t sure why it was what he wanted. Most likely, whatever Alicia would have said would have been far more acerbic. However, Nat stopped walking and stared down at her.

“If you insist on carting me around, could you at least hurry up,” Alyssa whined, acting bored.

That caused him to stare, even more. Alyssa forced herself not to look at him. It was not easy. She told herself over and over that her fingernails were the most interesting thing, ever. Because of that, she somehow managed to stare at them, and not look up at Nat.

It seemed like forever, but he finally remarked, “don’t be smart,” and started forward again.

Alyssa snorted, without meaning to. That one had been an automatic reaction. Using the most sarcastic, overdramatic voice she could come up with, she replied, “I’m not, remember my GPA.”
She was surprised that one caused him to stop. Looking at the ground, Alyssa estimated that he was fifteen steps from the door. If he was going to stop every time she made an Alicia-like comment, they would never get inside.

“You know what I mean, young lady,” he remarked, taking another step forward.

“Really? The last time I checked, I did not have the power to read minds,” Alyssa said. She had to resist the urge to clap her hands over her mouth. Once she got going, she was just as quick as Alicia was to start spewing out the sarcastic, smart-mouthed comments.

Nat couldn’t believe the mouth on her. It was like she was a completely different person. After looking at her one last time, he started walking again. “Alyssa, I don’t think you need psychic abilities to figure out what is going to happen over the next day or so.”

“Oh, I’m so scared,” she replied in fake mock fright dramatic tone.

Instead of responding, Nat continued walking. They were going to get inside. He reached the front door but found that he wasn’t able to open it. The key was in his left side pants pocket; the side he was precariously holding Alyssa on. His left arm was pinning her to his side. His right arm was supporting her bag which was carefully balanced on his shoulder, and wouldn’t reach far enough to be of use. Asking Alyssa to fish out the key was asking for trouble.

So, he put her down on her feet, holding both of her shoulders when he saw her sway, slightly. Her eyes closed until she got settled. When she opened them, she looked around. “Better, nothing spinning,” Nat asked her.

“I would have been fine,” she told him.

“I think, what you’re looking for, is, ‘you’re welcome’,” he replied, turning her to face the door.

“I didn’t realize there was something I should look for,” she shot back.

He gripped the back of her neck with his right hand, while he fished the key out of his left pocket.

“If this place is so remote and so private, then why do you have to lock the door,” she asked.

Turning the handle and pushing the door open an inch, Nat pulled the key out and put it back in his pocket, before pushing the door open all the way. “That’s a good point,” he remarked, steering her into the small house. “If you feel strongly about it, we can talk about it tomorrow.” He kicked the door, so it closed behind them.

“I do feel strongly about it,” Alyssa said, trying to wiggle her way out of his grasp. “You can let go now, you creatin!”

Nat didn’t let go. At hearing that, his grip tightened and he pulled her in close, his other hand raising her chin up.

“Listen to me very closely,” he said quietly. Not the soothing quiet that he typically used with her. This was a quiet tone that came about when his anger was simmering and just about to boil over. “I told you we were staying here for 1 or 2 days, and that is the case. For now. That can be extended, Alyssa. That will be extended. Whatever is going on with you, whatever is causing this,” he waved his hand up and down, indicating her. “We are not leaving here until it’s sorted out.”

“Aww, like I’m something you file,” she said, with a sweet a saccharine smile on her face.

Nat let go of her. “All right, Alyssa,” he took a step back from her. “That’s enough.”

“Well, all right Nat,” she remarked, using the mock cheerful tone. “Enough what? Of your talking, I totally agree. You’re like the kid in elementary school that knew every rule and always got beat up at recess. Though, it makes sense, now, why your nieces and nephews don’t like you very much.”

Nat was glad that he’d stepped back from her. He knew if he’d been closer, the moment she finished speaking he’d have slapped her. Which he would have regretted later. He shook his head look at the back wall. Then, once he was able to speak without anger, he addressed her. “There is food in the refrigerator. Make yourself something to eat for dinner. There are two bedrooms upstairs. Each bedroom has its own bathroom. I’ve already selected a room, so the other one will be yours. I will put your bag on that bed. Now, get something to eat, take a few minutes if you’d like, then go upstairs, wash up and go to bed. It will be an early morning tomorrow, you’ll want the sleep.”

He nodded once and then started to walk towards the stairs.

“Wait,” Alyssa cried out.

Nat turned and looked at her.

“What are you, where are you, I, you’re just going?”

“To sleep, yes,” Nat told her, his tone cold. “I’m going upstairs, I am going to write to Helen. I’ll have it sent from the office tomorrow. I plan to let her know that we will not be attending the family retreat. Then, I’m going to sleep. It’s been a very long day and I am very tired.”

When she didn’t reply, Nat continued upstairs. At the top of the landing, he turned and went into the room that Alyssa would be staying in. It was nothing fancy but it was nothing to sneeze at. He placed her bag on the bed and glanced around one more time. “She’ll be fine,” he said quietly.

Then, he walked across the landing at the top of the stairs and through the bedroom door opposite hers. The room that he’d selected. When it came to the rooms, there was no difference in the layout, the furniture, anything of that nature. They were identical. Nat had selected the room he had for one reason. The sun would come in the windows in the morning. Looking one last time at the quiet, empty room across the way, Nat shut the door to his room.

Turning, he found himself leaning there, his back resting on the closed door. Finally, a few moments of peace. The quiet of the room was almost unnerving. He knew it wouldn’t last long. Knowing her as he did, Nat was aware that Alyssa was downstairs, confused, upset and seething, all at the same time about what had just happened.

The few minutes of peace and quiet were wonderful, but he needed to use them wisely. Sitting down at the desk, he took a few deep breaths and went over the rest of the night. He would write the note to Helen, wash up, and then turn in for the evening. That was all. No more.

It’d been a long day, it been a trying day, he was still working through all of it in his mind. Those were the only things that he was going to do that evening. Opening the top desk drawer, he pulled out the paper and pen that were provided for guests. He thought for a moment, finding the exact words for the situation. Then take penned the note to his wife.

It was a very odd, very unique little campground. Little to no electronics. No wifi, no cell service. He didn’t know of any campers that had a television. But, there was a strange little mail service. Each cabin had a number of mail chutes. He didn’t know what else to call them.

There were at least four that he knew of in the cabin. One in each bedroom, and two downstairs. A person could write a letter with an envelope and stamp, or write a letter with a fax number or email address. There were larger outer envelopes provided in each desk and downstairs in the kitchen. You put the letter or correspondence into the outer envelope and put it in the chute.
Either someone came around and collected them, or there was an odd mechanical system that was very well hidden. The workings of it didn’t matter that much, though he did wonder about them. Really, all that mattered, was that he was certain the letter would be scanned and emailed to Helen. Tomorrow, she would know not to expect them and not worry. The last thing he wanted to do was cause her unnecessary stress.

Alyssa stood there, shocked. He just went upstairs. After every insult she’d thrown at him, every smart mouthed comment, she’d been certain she’d see some sort of response. Sure, it would not have been a happy one. Yes, it would be a response that resulted in one very painful punishment. But she’d get what she wanted. Even if she had to be Alicia in order to do so.

She went over to the fridge and looked inside for the food that he’d referred to. Alyssa wasn’t sure what it was and she wasn’t really hungry anyway. She looked around the downstairs. It was a weird little cabin place. Deciding there was nothing else that she could do, she went upstairs.

It was obvious which room was hers. The one with the door open. Her bag was on the bed. The room was dark. She glanced across the hall. The door was closed, but she could see the light on underneath the door.

Walking over, she took a breath and knocked on the door. She could hear movement in the room and then the door swung open. Nat was wearing sweats, which was what he tended to sleep in. He loomed in the doorframe. “I told you to go to bed,” he glowered down at her.

“I know,” Alyssa told him. “I just, you didn’t punish me.”

“No, and I don’t intend to tonight,” he replied.

“Okay,” she took a deep breath. “But, why not?”

She was surprised when Nat reached out and took hold of her chin, pulling it up so high, she nearly had to stand on her toes. “Careful,” he warned quietly. “You’d almost have me think that you want to be spanked.”

He loosened his grip on her chin but didn’t let go completely. It was enough that she was able to lower herself back down, to have her feet flat on the floor.

Alyssa shook her head, as much as she could with Nat’s loose hold on her chin. “No, no, of course not,” she told him, trying to put forward both a demeanor and tone that stated ‘don’t be ridiculous’.

“I didn’t think so,” he said. A short reply, from which she could tell absolutely nothing. His face was back to having no expression whatsoever. Alyssa didn’t know how to navigate things when he was like this.

“It’s just,” Alyssa struggled to think of what to say. Admittedly, she did her thinking a lot better when she wasn’t forced to look right at him. “You usually spank me before bed, so then when I fall asleep, I know you forgive me, and I don’t feel guilty, and stuff.”

As she spoke, she felt him tighten his grip on her chin. When she was finished, Nat tugged, slightly, lifting her chin up higher in the air, and her back up on her toes.

“If it weren’t for the fact that I know you so well, Alyssa,” Nat’s voice was very quiet. It almost made her shiver. “I’d swear, based on this right here, you actually feel badly about your behavior.”

Alyssa hated the tone that he was using. It made her feel four inches tall. It made her feel like a naughty child being scolded by a parent. She was not good at being either of those.