New Weather Patterns: Prelude (FINAL) Nat's POV

Please post new stories here!
Forum rules
No Negative or Illegal Posting! Read stories and give each feedback!
naughtylilgirl09

New Weather Patterns: Prelude (FINAL) Nat's POV

Post by naughtylilgirl09 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:56 pm

New Weather Patterns: Prelude (FINAL) Nat's Point of View
A Nat and Alyssa Story

He gave her a second, waiting for the sarcastic remark to come flying at him. When nothing did, he was concerned. She was laying on the floor in the hallway, and did not look all that well. He couldn’t be certain, but he thought she had hit her head.
Dropping his bag on the ground, Nat went over to her. Looking down at her, he couldn’t help the raised eyebrow. “Aren’t you supposed to be in class?”
“I was,” she replied, the snotty tone that he was used to returning. She was rubbing the back of her head, and he saw her begin to sit up. Only begin, though. After she was an inch off the ground, she let herself back down.
When she glared at him, his worry started to alleviate. “I am,” she continued, the haughty tone very much there. “We’re on a break. I was just bringing you those, I was going to put them under the door.”
“And those are,” he questioned.
He was surprised when she blushed. Unlike the last few statements, she purposely said under her breath, “the last ten copies.” He raised his eyebrow, and she knew to continue. Still at a mumble, if it could even be called that, she said “I finished the in class assignment before a lot of people, and had extra time so I thought I’d just…” she faded out. Nat found himself grinning. He was well aware that it probably infuriated her. But, he couldn’t help it. She’d decided to complete her punishment in her free time.
He crouched down, picking up the papers, the grin still on his face. Yes, they were the last ten. Neatly done, the entire thing. She’d completed the entire 100. The girl was a mystery. One he was never going to understand. He glanced over at her. “Did you hit your head,” he asked.
“Yeah,” she said, looking directly up at the ceiling. “But it isn’t that bad, I just need a minute, and I’ll be fine.”
“Can you sit up?” he didn’t believe she was fine for a single second.
“Kinda?” she told him. He was about to ask her a question, but she rushed on. “But I just need a minute, seriously. If you have to catch the shuttle, I’ll be fine.”
He gave her a look that would have withered other beings. It might have her if she hadn’t just hit her head. But, it made it clear that his leaving wasn’t happening just yet. It was obvious that she felt bad for taking up his time.
She held her arm out to him. “Here,” she directed. “If you could just help me sit up.” He did as she asked, and assisted her into a sitting position, helping her move so she could lean against the wall.
“See,” she said giving him a false smile, “no problem, I’m good.”
“Uh huh,” Nat replied. “How many fingers?” He held up his hand.
“Two,” she replied, “Four, Three, Five” Answering each time he held up a different number.
“What day is it?”
“Monday,” Alyssa answered. She was beginning to develop a petulant tone in her voice. “Do you know where you are?” Nat asked.
“Mentally or physically?” Alyssa replied. “I’m at school on the second floor of the Graham building. Barack Obama is the President, my name is Alyssa Marie Carruthers, you’re Nat, my annoying advisor, that I didn’t choose, and don’t like, because you yell, anything else?”
“Nope,” he replied, “Can you stand?”
“Yes,” she scoffed. Nat watched as she struggled to stand up, her body swaying back and forth slightly, like an inebriated individual. She even forced herself to walk two steps, to prove she was fine. Mentally, he shook his head to himself. He had absolutely no intention of leaving. But he’d give her the impression he had.
“See, I’m fine,” she turned to him, and managed to sound conceited when she said it. “I have to go back to class, and you should go get on the shuttle or whatever you’re doing.”
“You’re correct,” he told her. “Back to class with you. I just came to retrieve my wallet, and now I have to run to catch the shuttle. Be sure to get to the doctor tomorrow though.”
He walked down the dark hallway, letting her believe that he had left. Then, very quietly, walked back, staying in the shadows from about ten feet away, and watched what happened.
She did manage to remain standing for possibly thirty seconds, before lunging for a trash can as she crashed down on the ground, and throwing up, luckily into the receptacle she had grabbed.
“Ow,” he heard her remark to absolutely no one. He smiled. “I think I may need help,” she said, before throwing up again.
“This is really bad,” he heard her say. Nat smiled again. The commentary was adorable. He continued to listen, waiting for the right point to let her know that he was still there.
“Gottta stay awake Alyssa, this is really bad, can’t sleep, bad injury, head injury, definitely can’t sleep because of head injury. Ugh,” he listened as she threw up again. “Alyssa, you’re an idiot. This is bad. Real bad. And you just told the one person that could have helped you to go away.” Nat heard her start to cry. “This is not at all good,” she said. He was about to step forward then, but she continued. “I should have just told him the truth. It’s not that hard, Alyssa. Gee, huh, well, I hit my head. Oh do I have a head injury, yes. Do I need help, yeah. Am I screwed, yeah probably. Am I an idiot, most certainly.”
He heard her lecture and berate herself. That was it. That was his opening. Walking down the rest of the hall, he stepped into her line of sight, just as she was yelling at herself about having a head injury. “You don’t say,” he replied.
He could only describe the expression on her face as sheer terror. Until she turned and threw up again. Then she turned back to him, this time looking upset and apologized. He held up his finger, telling her he needed one minute. Nat unlocked his office, ran in, grabbed his wallet, dashed out and relocked it.
Even in that thirty seconds, she’d managed to fall asleep. Scooping her up in his arms, he bounced her, as he carried her out of the building and over to the parking lot.
“Stay awake Alyssa,” he told her, firmly.
“Huh?” she was groggy.
Nat bounced her up and down in his arms again, waking her somewhat. “Tell me which car is yours.”
“Nissan, black,” she said, before starting to sleep again.
The minute her eyes started to close she felt her body being jolted around, “What?” she asked, yawning.
“Stay awake, Alyssa. Where are your keys?”
“Keyless don’t need ‘em, need purse, in purse.” It was a five-minute drive to the hospital. The minute he put her in the passenger seat, and buckled her in, she was out like a light. Nat almost woke her and forced her to explain how to start a keyless car. But he did figure it out. The streets were empty, which was helpful. He got her there in closer to three minutes. The ER took her right away.
She’s a student, he told himself over and over. She’s a student, and yet, he didn’t feel right leaving her there. So, he called his family and let them know the situation. Then, he went back into the actual emergency room, to sit with Miss Alyssa.
Twenty minutes after he sat down, she woke up for just a brief moment. The bright lights seemed to bother her. He watched as she took in the surroundings, noting the IV in her arm. She didn’t seem to mind the needle in her arm, the things stuck to her chest. She looked to one side, and then finally to the other, where her eyes landed on him.
“Nat?” he could tell she wasn’t sure if she was dreaming.
He stood up and walked over to the side of the bed.
“You lied to me, young lady,” he said sternly.
“Yes, I did,” she admitted, her voice weak. The statement nearly bowled him over. The last thing he expected was for her to actually admit it. “I’m sorry,” she added. “What did I say?”
At that he smiled. Sure, she knew she lied. But she didn’t know what about.
“You told me you were fine, worked to stand up, and walk, just to convince me of it,” he told her. He could practically see her mind working to remember, and then it was like they clicked into place. He could tell the exact moment, just by watching her.
“Oh,” she said. “I’m sorry. I didn’t want…I didn’t want…” she was back asleep.
Nat stayed. Alyssa was in and out of consciousness all through the night, and finally settled into a deep sleep around 7AM. The doctor told him she’d likely sleep until noon, if not after. It was a PC way of saying ‘go home and rest’. But he stayed. He took a moment to call over to the school and let them know that he wouldn’t be in. He also had a friend access her file to get her medical information. A friend that did not work in his office. The last thing he needed was everyone knowing where he’d been. He provided the information that he’d gotten to the doctor and to admissions, and then went back to sit with her.
It was almost 2pm when she finally woke up. Nat was reading a book and didn’t notice right away. He heard the bed squeak and that was when he looked up. She had propped herself up on her elbows and was staring at him. “Oh god,” she said.
“Nope, just Nat,” he replied.
“Same thing,” she told him.
He chuckled. Most likely he’d have to remind her that she said that one.
“There should be a doctor coming back shortly,” he informed her. He was about to ask another question when he noticed an odd look on her face.
“What, what time is it,” she asked him.
“It’s about 1:45,” he told her.
“In the morning,” she asked him, the look on her face a combination of hesitance and fear.
“Nope, the afternoon,” he replied.
He saw her blink back tears, “Nat, I’m so sorry, you didn’t, don’t have to stay here, you’re missing work.” The minute he saw her start to sit up, he was on his feet going over to her bedside. As predicted, she didn’t make it more than two inches off the bed, before she lay back down, closing her eyes. She nearly jumped when she opened them and saw Nat there. He chuckled. “Deep breaths,” he said, “I know you hate deep breathing, but it helps with the dizziness, apparently.”
He was surprised when she actually took some deep breaths. Then she looked up at him again, an almost shy expression on her face. “Please tell me you didn’t stay here over night.”
“I did,” Nat said. “You collapsed, and lost consciousness. I wasn’t going to drop you off at the ER and leave you. I called my family and let them know the situation. They were here for a little while, actually. We got a snack in the cafeteria together.”
“Oh, I’m so sorry,” Alyssa looked ready to cry. “I didn’t mean to.”
“To hit your head,” Nat cut her off, “No I don’t believe you did. Lie to me about your health status, that’s a different story.”
He watched her blush bright red, and chuckled, shaking his head slightly. “One that I’m sure you’ll have no trouble telling after a good number of weeks of office detention.” He had been just about to turn to go sit down, when he she said, “it doesn’t exist.”
“I beg your pardon,” Nat turned back to her.
“Office detention,” she repeated. “It doesn’t exist. Not really. It’s something you made up during my sophomore year, because I was having a guilt attack and wanted you to suspend me, or in school suspension.”
He took a large step back from the gurney. “Oh my lord,” he said to himself.
“I’m sorry,” he heard her say, though it seemed like it was in the background. “I realized that you didn’t remember me, I thought it would be better if I didn’t say anything.”
While there were hundreds of thoughts in his head, he pushed them all aside. There was one that mattered. Only one. Stepping back up to the bed, he moved in very close to her, so that he could look directly into her eyes. “I’m going to ask you a question,” he began, his tone indicating the seriousness of his feelings and the situation, “and I want the truth from you, understand?”
“Yes, sir,” she said. He saw the fear in her eyes.
“The professor that left,” Nat hadn’t stepped back, he was still in her face. “It shows that it was because of you, correct?”
“Yes, sir,” she answered.
“Was it really you?” he asked her, carefully watching her eyes. He could already tell by looking at them, what the answer was. That it hadn’t been her.
When she started to look away, he ordered her to look at him, his tone sharp. “Eyes here, Alyssa.”
“No, it wasn’t me,” she said quietly.
“Do you know who it was?” he questioned. He already had a hunch about who the person was.
“No,” she told him. He stared into her eyes, and she continued. “I could make a couple guesses, but I don’t know for sure.”
He stepped back, and turned away from her for a moment. He needed to gather his thoughts, process all this. He was also aware that she would need to know what had just transpired or she would worry needlessly and that would not be good for her health.
“You’re a good girl, Alyssa,” Nat said, stepping back to her bedside, and gently stroking her cheek. “You just need guidance, sometimes. And that guidance is going to continue to include office detention.”
He had more to say, and would have continued, except the doctor appeared at that moment.
They didn’t keep her for long. Within six hours, Alyssa had charmed the doctor into discharging her, allowing her to go home. Rest had been strongly recommended, which Nat watched her scoff at. He insisted that he drive her home, which he could tell she wasn’t thrilled with, but agreed to anyway. Once there, he pushed further, insisting on walking her up to her apartment.
It hardly looked lived in. There wasn’t any food in the refrigerator. A good deal of ketchup, olives and pickles, but that was about it. He sighed to himself. It was no wonder Angelo had worried about her. “Order groceries,” he told her. “I will check, and if your kitchen does not have food in it you will not like the consequences. Rest, Alyssa. That means no work, no school. Until Tuesday. One week.”
He saw her open her mouth to retort, but her put his finger to his lips.
“One week,” he held eye contact with her until she acquiesced.
The next day from work, he called Angelo, thinking the older gentleman would want to know about Alyssa’s health. He was surprised when the secretary informed him that Mr. Rossi was out of the country. A tiny suspicion began to form in the back of his mind, and he asked a few questions.
While the young woman was stingy with information, she gave him what he needed. Angelo Rossi had been out of the country for at least the past two weeks. Mr. Rossi hadn’t written the letter that had been faxed to him. He knew the location of that office, and knew the drive could be done within 5 or 6 hours, one way. From what he’d gleaned from the woman on the phone, individuals such as Alyssa would have no trouble getting in and out of the building.
He shook his head to himself. Alyssa certainly needed guidance. He was not going to be the one to provide it, though. Not with the way she liked to play games, her dishonesty, constant drama. No, he didn’t have time. Calling up to the front desk, he informed Jake that there was no longer any ‘office detention’ for Miss Carruthers, and to inform her of this.
This was best, he assured himself. It was only until the end of the semester, and then she’d be leaving the school anyway. Funny though, she’d previously met him, and hadn’t wanted to tell him. However, she’d been thinking of something completely different than he was. They’d met before the school incident she’d spoken of. Not something he wanted to rehash, and if she didn’t remember it, all the better. Only a few more months really, and then she’d be gone.

The rest of the ‘Prelude’ piece for Nat and Alyssa will be written as one piece under a new title, instead of two different points of view.

gmaster

Re: New Weather Patterns: Prelude (FINAL) Nat's POV

Post by gmaster » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:42 pm

You continue to have a strong command of the English language and a real talent for writing.