To Love, Honor, and...what?!

Please post new stories here!
Forum rules
No Negative or Illegal Posting! Read stories and give each feedback!
eve

To Love, Honor, and...what?!

Post by eve » Fri May 02, 2014 8:29 am

“In my day dear, we promised to love, honor, and ‘obey’,” Sadie smiled, patting her newly engaged daughter’s hand. “I think it’s simply an unnecessary word in the end. If you love and honor, you automatically obey.”

Not placated in the least, Jillian stood, her pretty face scowling as she went to pour a glass of iced tea. “Then Dave shouldn’t insist on my using that unnecessary word.”

Sadie sighed mentally and wondered what the real issue was. Dave was a wonderful young man that clearly adored her. “Do you see me as under your Dad’s thumb?”

Looking at her mom quickly, Jillian said, “No...Of course not. But that’s different. You just said it was normal to use ‘obey’ when you wed. It’s just not today. Dave knows that, but all of a sudden, he’s insisting on making me vow something that I will not do. He’s trying to shame me. I think,” she added in a broken whisper, “he wants me to refuse to m-marry him.”

“Oh, sweetheart,” Sadie said, moving to hug her. “That young man loves you more than anything. He’d never want to shame you!”

Jill sniffled and whispered, “He is though. I’ve told him I won’t say it and it’s now become the only thing we argue about. I just w-won’t. I don’t care wh-what he says.”

Chuck was coming in from work as Jillian ran from the kitchen, a whimpered, “Hi, Dad,” his acknowledgement.

He frowned at Sadie and asked, “What’s going on?”

Sadie offered him a soft smile and hug. “Obey is the word of the day…and our soon to be wedded daughter refuses to say it in the vows Dave wants said.”

Chuck made an amused sound, tipping up his wife’s face. “Sounds like someone else I know.”

Even after all these years, Sadie blushed. “Not so loud--you’ll blow my cover.”

He laughed and gave her bottom a swat. “So that’s what you call fibbing these days? I suggest you go upstairs and have an honest, heart to heart with her.”

“But, dinner is ready…”

He lifted that right brow of his and she sighed softly. “Yes, sir.”

He was still chuckling as she knocked on Jill’s door and asked if she could come in.

Chuck peeked in the pots on the stove and felt his stomach rumble in want. Sadie was a great cook, a great wife, and one helluva woman. She hadn’t always been quite as amazing as she was today, but he knew from the moment he first met her, she was the right one to make his own.

At thirty, he was the last holdout in his group of friends, all the others married and starting families. It wasn’t that he was opposed to marriage, he just hadn’t found the right woman to make it happen. He was a beat cop on the North Side of town and got to know folks from the community. It was old Mrs. Wilcox that kept chasing him down to tell him about her great niece Sadie. Had he known she wasn’t exaggerating about her, he’d have met her long before he did.

When it did happen though, it wasn’t by Mrs. Wilcox’s design, but her stolen purse that brought his future wife front and center, her big brown eyes flashing with outrage. He drank her in feeling something stir that never had, deep within.

“Do you know how many times I’ve watched you mosey up and down this street today instead of going to find the criminal that stole Aunt Betty’s purse?! Seven! Seven times! What kind of policeman are you?!”

He cocked his head as his smile faded. “I think it might be best to calm down, little girl. If your aunt is Mrs. Wilcox, she was accosted prior to my shift. They have the report and are working on it.”

“Ohhhhhhhh,” she purred sarcastically, her eyes flashing. “So you aren’t a policeman at all. Just some flatfoot that is sent outside to play!” She poked him in the chest adding, “I want to see that report! Now!”

He caught her hand and leaned down so there would be no doubt she’d hear his words. “And I want to put you over my knee, bare that bottom, and teach you some manners. Looks like we both have to wait for what we want.”

She blinked, her eyes rounding more before she tugged free and hissed, “You’ll wait a long ass time, bucco! What’s your badge number?! I’ll see what the mayor has to say about how you treat a concerned citizen!”

“So it’s the purse you’re most interested in, not your aunt?” He stood straighter to glare down at her, “Your priorities need work, along with your mouth. If you were my lady, sitting would become a rare event for you.”

She sputtered, her face in flames at his audacity, “Dream on, flatfoot!” Sadie then huffed, pivoting to march off down the sidewalk, her hips swaying like an angry bumble bee. Chuck watched her until she turned the corner, unable to help it. The stirring was back.

Few, if any, would confront him as she had. At 6’5” he was an imposing figure with a deep baritone voice that rumbled from deep within.

Curious himself about it, though, he radioed the precinct for an update. He hung up, smirking, knowing exactly where he was headed to share the news.

He wasn’t surprised when the angry bumble bee opened her aunt’s door, her expression priceless. “What do you want?!”

“Who is it, dear?” While Chuck couldn’t see her, he clearly heard Betty’s frailer voice.

“Officer Dunn…Chuck, Mrs. Wilcox. I have word on your altercation today.”

Sadie huffed but her aunt chided, “Well, let the man in, Sadie. Don’t leave him in the hallway.”

She stepped back and Chuck went in, smiling at the older woman who was sipping tea as she sat in an overstuffed chair. He hunkered down to be at eye level and gave her hand a pat. “They found your purse, Mrs. Wilcox…and the boy that stole it. Joe is going to bring both the boy and your purse back to you…if you’re okay with that.”

“How old is the boy,” she asked, both relieved and a tad concerned.

“Twelve…If you’d rather he not come, I can stop that.”

“No…the poor child must have needed money badly.”

Sadie huffed and said, “You will not bring that juvenile delinquent into her home! Are you nuts?!”

“Sadie!” Her aunt scowled up at her. “You will not speak to Chuck that way…or speak for me when I’m quite capable of doing so for myself.” When Sadie bit her lip to remain silent, her eyes met Chucks again. “Yes…I’d love to meet the child.”

Giving her hand another pat, he stood and radioed Joe, his eyes on Sadie who looked fit to be tied. “Yeah…bring him to 311 Main…I’ll be here as well.”

Sadie made a growling sound but turned to take her aunt’s empty cup. “I just don’t want you to be upset…and if you show him where you live…what if he—“

Betty shook a finger up at her niece. “What upset me today more than anything was the way you are treating that nice man right there.” Sadie blinked, but refused to glance his way. “And the child knows where I live. He has my purse, Sadie! Now you take that cup to the kitchen and sit down like a lady should. Really, Sadie..I’m surprised at you!”

Chuck couldn’t hide his grin, watching the younger woman walk stiffly to the kitchen as told, the cup set none too gently into the sink. She returned, still refusing to look his way, and sat stiffly on the end of the sofa.

“You’ll have to pardon my niece,” Betty smiled. “She’s gone off to college and seems to have forgotten her manners lately.”

Chuck looked at Sadie and said, “I was thinking the same thing…”

That it was said in an amused tone meant to mock, had Sadie up in a flash, poking his chest again. “My manners are not YOUR concern and if you even THINK of laying a hand on me, I’ll be suing the pants off you!”

Truly shocked, not having a clue what she meant because Chuck hadn’t threatened her at all in her presence, Betty gasped. “Saaaaaaaaaadie!”

Chuckling at the corner she’d just painted herself into, Chuck said, “It’s not my pants you should worry about, little girl.”

Had Joe not come to the door then, things might have gotten very interesting. As it was, Sadie growled and stomped to the door to swing it wide, her eyes flashing enough that the boy moved behind the officer.

“Mrs. Wilcox?” Joe looked a bit confused seeing a young woman rather than the older woman he expected.

“In here, Joe,” Chuck said, watching as the boy followed the officer, peeking back at Sadie as if he didn’t trust she wouldn’t decapitate him.

Joe placed a hand on his back and moved him to the front. “Well, son? What do you have to say to Mrs. Wilcox?”

His face was pale, he was clearly fearing he was headed up the river. “I..I’m sorry, ma’am…f-for taking your purse. M-My mom’s sick…and I j-just wanted to get her fl-flowers…that’s all.” His chin quivered and he blinked back tears.

Betty patted the arm of her chair. “Come here, child…what’s your name?”

He inched over saying, “Joey…J-Joey Kemp.”

“Well, Joey…I’m sorry to hear about your mom’s illness…but you do know that you scared me to death, right? You’re young and strong…and I’m a bit unsteady on my feet these days.”

Tears fell down his freckled face as he nodded. “I’m real sorry…I won’t ever do it again…I promise.”

Chuck started to speak but Betty held up her hand, her eyes on the boy. “I was wondering, Joey…if I could hire you to help me sometimes? Say twice a week?”

All eyes moved to her in shock…but none wider with it than Joey’s. “H-Hire me?”

She nodded, smiling sweetly. “I sure could use your help with groceries…and if you’re able to, maybe you could help me clean out my closets. I have boxes in there that need sorted. Would you be willing to help me for a dollar a week?”

Thinking he had just hit the mother-load, the boy nodded. “S-Sure!”

“And can you start today? I didn’t make it to the market and I need milk and bread.”

Nodding like a bauble head, he accepted the money she tucked in his hand.

“Thank you, Joey. Now…thank the officers for caring enough to help us both…won’t you?”

And just like that, the short lived life of crime ended, one grateful, shaken child thanking them even as he apologized, leaving with his head high and a bright future ahead.

“Well done, Mrs. Wilcox,” Chuck smiled. “Not many would do what you just did.”

“Nonsense. The child just made a bad decision. Like one can do from time to time, manner wise.” Her eyes moved to Sadie. “You can agree to go to dinner with Officer Dunn and prove you were just having a bad moment as well, Sadie.”

Sadie shifted on the couch, face hotter still. “I’m sure Officer Dunn has plans and Aunt Betty, I can assure you we don’t want to see one another…” she added, tone clearly showing she didn’t.

“I’m free. I’ll pick you up at six.”

And as she gaped at him, he gave Mrs. Wilcox a wink and left, his life forever changed.

But then, so was Sadies.

Upstairs, Jillian was sniffling as her Mother tried to assure her that old fashioned vows meant something wonderful. Without much more luck than she’d had downstairs. Finally, remembering Chucks warning to be honest, she said softly, “Listen to me, honey. I’m about to share something that will probably shock you, but I know you can see how in love your father and I are…so I trust you’ll be mature enough to handle it.”

That brought her daughters eyes up to meet hers. “What do you mean?”

Feeling a soft warmth fill her face, Sadie said, “You know how Dad and I met…but not all of it. I left out the part of my behavior…how rude I had been to him. I never met a man like him…and I didn’t know what I was dealing with,” she added with a smile.

Jillian shifted on the bed to sit cross legged in the center, facing her mom fully. “Doooooooo tell,” she smiled.

“Your father is old school…which you’ve always known.”

Jillian laughed and gave a nod. She was raised with so many outdated rules. Like girls don’t call boys…they call her. 'God gave you a natural beauty and no way will you cover it up with all that gunk,' was a mantra in her teen years. And to be in before midnight…and that was even after she was engaged. He didn’t approve at all over her wearing jeans…but in time, he learned to accept the fashion trend. “Go on.”

Shifting a bit herself, searching for a delicate way to put it, Sadie said, “Well, he didn’t appreciate my behavior…or the fact that I swore as I poked his chest that day.”

Jillian gasped and giggled. “You were brave!”

“No…more naive. Like I said, I didn’t know him then. At all.” She sighed and said, “So…he said something about my need of a spanking of all things.”

Jillian blinked, but felt a bit of a thrill at learning about her parents in a new light. “What did youuuuu say?”

“Ha. I think it was something like ‘in your dreams, bucco…’ before I stomped off,” she laughed. “Well, he came to the apartment like you heard, and Aunt Betty, rest her soul, did maneuver that dinner date…”

“And you lived happily ever after,” Jillian supplied, eyes twinkling.

Nodding, looking at her lap a moment before raising her eyes to her daughters, she softly said, “And was spanked often…when I forgot how a lady was to act.”

Shocked, Jillian whispered, “No way!”

Taking her daughter’s hand to squeeze it she smiled, hoping for understanding. “Yes, way…usually over his lap for a long enough time to see the error of my ways. But know what?”

Still stunned, Jillian shook her head, not trusting her voice.

“I never once felt I didn’t deserve a tender bottom. I did know better than to do the things that earned my spankings. And I never loved or respected anyone in the whole world as I do your father.”

Jillian sat there, her thoughts swirling. “Really, Mom…that’s…I mean…that’s abuse!”

Sitting straighter, her eyes flashing, Sadie said, “Hardly, Jillian! You know your father and I pretty well, I’d think. Do I look abused or unhappy? Does he appear to want to take his fists to me? Have you ever heard him talk down to me or have you seen me cower when he enters a room?”

Knowing she’d upset her mom Jillian said, “No, of course not. It’s just…I just…I guess I just don’t get it. If David ever spanked me…even threatened to…I’d run. That would be the end of us.”

Sadie studied her for a moment then smiled rather sadly. “Perhaps you don’t love him as I do your father. Your future is really up to you in the end, honey.” She stood and kissed her forehead, “Dinner will be ready soon, Jilly.”

Chuck smiled as she joined him in the kitchen, then frowned. “Didn’t go too well, I take it.”

Hugging him she whispered, “Not in the least. She thinks we’re in an abusive marriage.”

He pulled back to scowl. “What?!”

She offered a crooked smile. “She’s shocked, babe. I think what I shared was a bit much for her to handle.”

The phone rang as she moved to the stove and Chuck got it, rumbling, “Hello.”

“Hi, Mr. Dunn, it’s Dave. Is Jill at home? I keep calling her but she isn’t answering her cell.”

Chuck sighed, “Yep…she’s upstairs sulking. Listen, I’ll tell her you called.”

“Thanks,” Dave said, a bit sharper than he meant to, but Jillian’s sulk was the last straw in an overfilled wagon. “See you, Mr. Dunn.”

Chuck was the one to call their daughter to the table, going to sit in his place as he tried to figure out what was wrong with kids today. He knew…but doubted either of them would agree.

Jill came down and sat quietly, not looking at either or speaking at all. Trying to wrap her head around her mother allowing her father to spank her like a child had her struggling to keep her thoughts to herself.

Chuck complimented his wife on the meal before them and she kissed his cheek and said, “Thanks, babe.”

“Dave phoned our line because you’re playing games,” Chuck said, taking a generous helping of the roast Sadie prepared.

Stung, Jillian’s eyes flew up to glare at him. “He said I’m playing games?!”

“I did…” Chuck looked at her levelly. “Isn’t that what you’re doing?”

Sadie passed the mashed potatoes. “Chuck…let’s eat. It’s been a rough day,” she added with a soft smile.

Jillian squirmed on the chair and huffed, “You obviously wouldn’t understand…not after what Mum told me.”

Sadie knew dinner wasn’t going to be the relaxed, happy chattering, kind of thing it normally was as Chuck set down the potatoes and looked at his daughter hard.

“I know what she shared, but tell me how you heard it.”

Unable to look at him, she pushed her peas around the plate as she said in a softer, but no less accusing tone, “That you … that you spank her.” Lifting her eyes to his she added, “That’s abuse these days, Dad.”

“Is it now?” His chuckle was enough to help Sadie breathe. “Tell me, Jilly, what you define abuse as. I’m curious.”

Jill snorted, “Hurting the one you love…physically. Striking her in any way is abuse, Dad…and you know it.” Remembering Dave she stabbed her peas to add, “Forcing wives to be obedient is archaic! I won’t do it.”

“So,” Chuck smiled, “when you were raised we should have just let you run into the street without looking both ways. We should have never taught you that the stove was hot or tried to catch you when you were about to fall. We should have let you do or say anything you wanted because we loved you deeply.” He cut the roast on his plate and looked at his wife. “We’ve failed our daughter, love.”

Sadie’s eyes twinkled as she gave a solemn nod. “So it seems.”

“That’s different! You didn’t fail me at all. You were protecting me…teaching me right from wrong. But I’m not…Mom’s not…a baby anymore.”

“No…but she’s my wife. You’re my daughter. I would die a million deaths if anything ever happened to either of you.” He took a bite of the meal and smiled at Sadie. “Delicious, babe. As always.”

She smiled and thanked him before he continued to talk with their daughter.

“Do you like arguing? Screaming and yelling and name calling…things like that?”

“No…that’s a silly question. Nobody does,” Jill sighed.

“How about the silent treatment…when you make a mistake and then Dave doesn’t talk to you for days. Would that float your boat?” He held up a finger and said, "Oh, wait. Obviously that one doesn't matter. You're pulling that with Dave."

She snorted, saying nothing more, but the dig stung.

“What if one day when you were about six, you lost your mom because she’d been out with the girls and had a few too many drinks, dying in the crash she had because she actually got behind the wheel that way? Would your life have been affected by her loss?”

Eyes swinging to her mom she whispered, “Very much…”

“And what if she sold her own engagement ring…a ring I’d saved for up for over a year to give to her, that I know meant something to her…to pay for something that she’d blown the money on? And—didn’t even come to me to discuss it either.”

She saw Sadie shift on the chair, a faint blush on her face as she lowered her eyes.

“I…well…I don’t know…”

“I didn’t tell him,” Sadie said, her eyes now on Chuck. “because I’d lied to him about paying the mortgage. The lie was what I wanted to hide,” she confessed softly. “We promised one another we’d always be honest.”

Jillian's eyes went to her mom's rings, the engagement ring sparkling under the light.

"Dad tended to me, then went and bought it back for twice the money I got for it," Sadie said, her eyes moving to Chuck, shimmering with a shamed pride over that day so long ago.

“So…yes,” Chuck said clearly. “I did spank your mother’s bottom a few times over the years. But the abuse wasn’t in the spanking, which cleared the air and righted things between us. The abuse was in her lack of care for her safety…the abuse was in breaking the trust we had built together.”

“Honey,” Sadie said, her gaze holding Jill's, “it doesn’t matter if you understand or not, but I love your Dad all the more for what he does. I can’t say I enjoy being over his knee in the moment, but the guilt, the shame, the anger it relieves, is worth every second. It’s not easy to head a home…most men run at the first sign of trouble. But your father is a man of integrity and honor…and he loves me. I can’t even dream of anything more I need.”

Jill couldn’t miss the look her parents exchanged, love connecting them so vividly it made her own eyes well up. “I…I’ve told Dave a thousand times I want a marriage like you two have…” She placed her napkin on the table and stood. “I’m going to go call him…I love you two.”

She hugged them each quickly and hurried off, leaving the two of them alone at the table. Sadie reached over to cover her husband’s hand. “You’re so wise…you handled that beautifully.”

He smiled, leaning to kiss her softly. “She’s your daughter. I had no doubt she’d see reason in the end.”

Her grin widened his own. “Do you think she’ll work things out with Dave? Do you think he’s the right man for her? I just want her to be happy,” she added needlessly.

“Yes…yes…and we both do,” he chuckled. “Now, missy,” he added in mock sternness. “Are you telling me you enjoy being over my knee?”

She laughed and kissed him again. “There arrrre times…though I didn’t think our daughter was ready to hear about those spankings.”

He chuckled and said, “Eat before your food grows cold…then straight up to bed with ya. I’ll be following soon enough, my naughty girl.”

Epilogue…

“I, Jillian Dunn, promise to love, honor, and…” Her blush was present as she stood before the handsome young man that was moments away from being her husband, “...obey…”

David’s grin grew as he gave her hands a squeeze, so proud of the woman he loved so deeply. He heard Chuck’s well placed cough and bit back a laugh, knowing he owed so much to him. To both of Jillian’s parents.

A few moments later he kissed his new bride, then whispered, “How’s your bottom, Mrs. Emmerson?”

Blushing deeper remembering the previous night’s spanking, even though she was beaming, she whispered back, “Shhh…We’re in church, Mr. Emmerson.”

And off they went, back down the aisle as the guests stood and cheered, a man and wife…off to create a life of love forevermore.

redzonedefense_F

Re: To Love, Honor, and...what?!

Post by redzonedefense_F » Fri May 02, 2014 10:28 am

Wonderful story!

eve

Post by eve » Sun May 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Smiles...thank ya.

tk04

Post by tk04 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:28 am

Lovely!